Lesson 4 - A Rich Man's Question
Matthew 19:16-26; Mark 10:17-27; Luke 18:18-27
BIG IDEA: We can show God's love by sharing.
- The man that came up to Jesus had a LOT of what? (Money)
- The rich, young man wanted to know how to live forever. Jesus told him to obey God's rules (commandments) and what else? (Sell everything you have and share it with the poor. And then follow me.)
- How did the rich, young man respond? (He was sad. He walked away.)
- Would it be easy or difficult for you to give away ALL your toys and share with other kids that may not have any toys?
ACTION PLAN: Identify ways to share with someone this week.
PRAYER: Ask God to help you show love to others by sharing.
MEMORY VERSE: "Give thanks to the Lord. His love is forever." 1 Chronicles 16:34
Lesson 2 - The Master Serves
John 13: 1-17
BIG IDEA: Part of following Jesus is loving and serving others.
- How did Jesus show His friends that He loved them? (Served their need. Washed their feet.)
- Why didn't Peter want Jesus to wash his feet? (Peter didn't want Jesus to do the work of a lowly servant.)
- What was Jesus trying to teach His disciples by washing their feet? (The importance of serving others. That no one is "too good" to serve others.)
CONNECTING TO JESUS: Jesus was King of Kings, yet He wasn't like most Kings who sought power and riches. He came to serve, to the point of laying down His life for us. Mark 10:45 says, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." Jesus set the example and wants us to follow His lead.
ACTION PLAN: Describe situations in which we can show Jesus' love by serving others.