Jesus Enters Jerusalem
Matthew 21:1-11,15-16; Mark 11:1-10
BIG IDEA: There are many ways to praise Jesus.
- What did Jesus ask 2 of his helpers to do? (Go into the town ahead and get a donkey to bring back to Jesus.)
- The people were excited that Jesus was coming. What did they do to show Jesus that they were happy to see Him? (They laid palm branches and their coats on the road. They shouted "Hosanna")
- What does Hosanna mean? (Save us now. A shout of praise.)
ACTION PLAN: The word "praise" means to thank someone or to tell how great and good someone is. Identify different ways to praise Jesus this week.
PRAYER: Thank God for Jesus and all He has done for us!
MEMORY VERSE: "How good it is to sing praises to our God." Psalm 147:1
People Praise Jesus
John 12: 9-19
BIG IDEA: Jesus is so great that I can't help but praise Him!
- What did the people do to praise Jesus when He entered Jerusalem? (Waved branches. Sang "Hosanna". Laid their cloaks on the ground before Jesus.)
- Some people had hoped Jesus would fight the Romans. What did Jesus come to do? (Bring peace. Die on the cross to take the punishment for our sins. Make it possible to join God's family. Make a bigger kingdom than Israel.)
- Why didn't the religious leaders like Jesus? (They were worried about how popular Jesus was becoming. They didn't want the Romans to take away their jobs.)
CONNECTING TO JESUS: Jesus is the King of Kings! But He didn't become King by fighting, He did it by dying! He died to take the punishment of our sins and then rose to life again! Now, instead of fighting bad people, King Jesus invites ALL of us to be forgiven and join His family forever!
ACTION PLAN: Choose a way to show thanks to Jesus and do it.