Singing in Jail
BIG IDEA: There are many ways to tell others about Jesus.
- Not everyone was happy that Paul and his friends were in Phillipi. What happened to Paul and Silas? (Men told lies about them. They were put in jail.)
- Being in jail didn't stop them from sharing the good news. What are some ways they told others about Jesus? (By talking, praying and singing songs.)
- How did the jailer feel after the earthquake? (He was afraid all the prisoners would escape. He was afraid he would be in trouble.)
- What happened after the jailer realized all the prisoners were still there? (He asked Paul and Silas how to be saved. He listened and believed the good news about Jesus.)
ACTION PLAN: Identify ways to tell others about Jesus.
PRAYER: Thank God for always being with us.
MAY MEMORY VERSE:
Jesus said, 'Go and tell the good news. Mark 16:15
Praise in Prison
BIG IDEA: Jesus is with us, so we can be fearless about the future.
- Why were Paul & Silas put in jail? (They healed a slave girl from a demon living inside her and the owners were mad because she made them money. They took them to the authorities and said they were disrupting the city.)
- What were some ways that Paul & Silas showed they trusted God? (They sang and prayed to God, even when they were in jail. They didn't escape when the earthquake opened the jail doors. They showed love by stopping the jailer from killing himself when he thought all the prisoners escaped.)
- What are some difficult situations that people might face? (Examples: Moving to a new neighborhood, having a big test at school, having someone at school being mean to you.)
- What can you do to remember that Jesus is with you in situations like this? (Pray. Read your Bible. Sing songs about Jesus. Talk with a parent or a teacher.)
CONNECTING TO JESUS: The jailer heard Paul and Silas singing and praising God even while they were in prison. Then he saw how they stayed after the earthquake, even when they could have escaped, and stopped him from hurting himself when he was afraid they ran away. Paul and Silas did more than just TELL people about Jesus, they showed their faith by their actions. Their actions that night in jail showed their faith and trust in God, and the jailer wanted to know how he could be saved, too. God is always good, and we can trust Him in every situation, even the scary ones.
ACTION PLAN: Talk about the goodness of God and some of His promises, that might help us to be brave in scary situations. Pray for help to trust Jesus and have hope in every situation.
May Memory Verses:
"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes." Romans 1:16
"Be very careful, then, how you live -- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity." Ephesians 5:15-16