God Cares for a Widow
1 Kings 17:7-16
BIG IDEA: God is with us and takes care of us.
- What happened to the stream God sent Elijah to? (It dried up. No more water.)
- Where did God send Elijah next? (To a nearby town.)
- What was he to do there? (Ask a woman for a drink, and bread.)
- What was the woman's answer? (She gave him a drink, but said she only had enough flour and oil for one last loaf for her and her son.)
- What did Elijah say God would do for her? (He said she wouldn't run out of flour or oil until the Lord sent rain again.)
ACTION PLAN: Name a time God has been with you and cared for you.
PRAYER: Thank God for always being with you and give examples.
JULY MEMORY VERSE:
"God has been good to me." Genesis 33:11
BIG IDEA: It is wise to learn from other's mistakes and choose to follow God's way.
- What were some of the rules God gave Samson's parents about what he should not do? (Cannot cut his hair. Cannot touch anything dead. Cannot eat or drink anything from grapes.)
- What unwise choices did Samson make? (Touched the dead body of a lion. Married a Philistine (the enemy!)
- How can learning about other people's mistakes help us out? (Examples: Help us know what not to do. We can see their consequences, and be encouraged to make good choices.)
CONNECTING TO JESUS: God chose Samson to help Israel get rid of the Philistines. Samson knew what God wanted him to do, but Samson wanted to do things his OWN way! That didn't stop God, though, He was still able to use Samson's wrong choices to help Israel. Now, Jesus ALWAYS obeyed what God wanted him to do. And because he did something no one else could do, He freed us from sin so we don't have to go our own way, but we can join God's family!
ACTION PLAN: Identify ways to know and follow God's plan for us. (Examples: We can know by... reading the Bible, praying to God, listening to people who know and love God. We can follow by... looking for ways to do what is right, doing the things you know will help you follow God.)
JULY MEMORY VERSE:
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9