Safe in a Shipwreck
BIG IDEA: To see others in need and show God's love to them.
- What happened while Paul was on the boat? (A big storm. They people were afraid.)
- Paul knew they were afraid, how did he help them? (He told them not to be afraid. Told them God loved them and promised to take care of them. That no one would get hurt.)
- What happened to the boat? And the people on the boat? (It wrecked and broke apart. The people swam to shore, or floated on pieces of the boat to shore. Everyone was safe!)
ACTION PLAN: Identify ways that you can show God's love to your friends.
PRAYER: Ask God to help you care for others and show them God's love.
MAY MEMORY VERSE:
"Jesus said, 'Go and tell the good news.'" Mark 16:15
Safe in a Shipwreck
BIG IDEA: We can say and do things that will encourage others.
- The storm was fierce and the passengers were all cold, hungry and scared. How did Paul encourage them? (He told them an angel appeared to him and promised they would all be safe. God would save them. The ship would break, but no lives would be lost.)
- What are some difficult situations kids your age might experience? (Examples: Getting a bad grade at school. Mean kids picking on others. Moving to a new school. Parents are upset about something.)
- What are some ways we can be encouraged by God? (Pray to God, or ask someone to pray for you. Read some of your favorite Bible verses. Listen or sing praise songs. Remember some times that God has helped you in the past.)
CONNECTING TO JESUS: Paul understood that having power over nature was not a problem for Jesus. He had the power to stop a storm (Mark 4:35-39) or simply walk through it (Mark 6:45-50). Because Paul trusted Jesus, he had confidence -- even in a frightening situation. We can have confidence, too. We may not know how things will turn out, but we can be confident that Jesus is with us! We can share that confidence with others and it can encourage them to trust Jesus along with us!
ACTION PLAN: Discuss ways to encourage others to trust God.
May Memory Verses:
"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes." Romans 1:16
"Be very careful, then, how you live -- not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity." Ephesians 5:15-16