Lesson 1 - Joseph & His Brothers
BIG IDEA: God promises to be with us wherever we go.
- Jacob had 12 sons, but who was his favorite? (Joseph)
- What made Joseph's brothers so angry with him? (Their Dad gave Joseph a beautiful coat to Joseph and not them. Joseph told his brothers about a couple of dreams he had where they bowed to him.)
- What happened to Joseph when he went to check on his brothers? (They wanted to hurt him. They threw him in a deep well. They sold him as a slave to some traders.)
- How do you think Joseph felt? (Ex. sad, angry, hurt, alone, etc.)
- ACTION PLAN: Name a place God has been with you this week.
PRAYER: Thank him for being with you everywhere you go.
MEMORY VERSE: "The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9
Mirroring God's Word
BIG IDEA: It's wise to read God's Word and live it, and not forget it.
- What did we say wisdom means? (Knowing the right things to do, and then doing it.)
- What were the 2 steps that James gave us to be wise? (1. Listen to God's Word, 2. Do what it tells us.)
- We talked about mirrors. Forgetting what we look like in a mirror is like forgetting what? (God's Word. Forgetting what God wants us to do. If we read God's Word but don't do what it says, it's like seeing our dirty faces in a mirror but forgetting and not washing.)
- What does James 1:22 tell us NOT to do? (Trick/deceive ourselves.) What are we supposed to do instead? (Obey God's Word. Put His Word into action.)
- What were 3 examples James gave us on how we can be wise and DO what God says? (Be quick to listen. Be slow to talk back. Be slow to get angry.)
CONNECTING TO JESUS: James challenges us to not only read God's Word, but to also put it into action. When we go beyond just learning what God says, and actually DO what God says, we begin to understand it much more. And obedience also shows other people that we belong to God's family and have a true relationship with Jesus, also known as the Living Word of God!
ACTION PLAN: Identify ways to put God's Word into action.
June Memory Verses:
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6