Deborah Obeys God
Judges 4:1-16; 5:4, 20-21
BIG IDEA: The Bible is God's Word and it tells us how to obey God.
- Deborah loved and obeyed God and He used her to send a message to who? (Barak)
- What was the message? (For Barak to take an army of men to Mt. Tabor. God would bring the enemy and its 900 chariots to the valley. God would help Barak defeat the enemy army.)
- As Barak and his men started down the mountain, how did God help them? (He sent a bunch of rain (5:4). The Kishon River flooded and most likely washed them away, leaving chariots stuck in the mud. The army fled on foot. (5:20-21))
ACTION PLAN: Talk about ways that you can obey God's Word.
PRAYER: Ask God to help you obey Him.
AUGUST MEMORY VERSE:
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid." Hebrews 13:6
1 Samuel 20:14-17; 2 Samuel 9
BIG IDEA: It is wise to keep the promises that I have made to others.
- What promise did David make to his best friend Jonathan? (To always care for Jonathan's family and never hurt them.)
- What did King David do when he found out that Jonathan's son was still alive? (Invited him to the palace. Gave him the land his father owned, and people to help take care of it. Invited him to eat at his table. Promised to take care of him and his family.)
- What promises has God made to us? (To love us. To forgive us. To make us part of His family when we believe in Jesus. To answer our prayers. To help us. To provide our needs. To give us wisdom if we ask Him and then trust Him.)
CONNECTING TO JESUS: David promised to take care of Jonathan's family, no matter what. Even years after Jonathan died, David kept his promise. He brought Jonathan's son, Mephibosheth, to the palace to live like David's own family. God made a promise, too. After Adam and Eve sinned, He promised to make things right again. He kept that promise when Jesus died and rose again to make us right with God. Now God invites us to His table and into His family because Jesus made the way for God's promise to come true!
ACTION PLAN: Talk about reasons to keep our promises.
AUGUST MEMORY VERSE:
"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord." Psalm 150:6